Play the Movie, Bake the Movie

For this blog post, I will be looking at my In-Depth project in a new light.  I’ll be going on about my baking progress as usual, but this time, I’ll be relating it all back to play.  So naturally, today we’re going to have a little fun, and give my regular posts some extra spin.

For a nice change I’m going to write my thoughts out in the form of a screenplay. Don’t worry; it won’t be featured in any upcoming productions.  I’m not sure I’d like to see a plot-less movie about somebody’s In-Depth project any time soon, and I doubt you’d want to pay for that either.

CAST:

Sarah: The curious 10 year old girl who stumbles upon her parent’s friend’s Emily’s work with baking.  She only wants to play, and it is uncertain whether or not she will find any interest in something that Emily must do as work.

Emily: She is a grade 9 student, embarking on a journey to complete her In-Depth project on baking and it’s chemistry.

Screen Play:

(Emily is staring at her phone, wearing an apron in the kitchen.)

(Sarah enters, and notices Emily)

Sarah: Hey Emily!!! What are you doing? Can we play something? I’m really bored. (Sarah looks excited, she is bouncing up and down)

Emily: (She looks up) Oh hi Sarah. I didn’t even know your parents were here yet. I was, um, actually just going to start baking something to get a little practice for my project. I’m just looking at the recipe I was going to make. (She pauses, knowing Sarah will be upset with what she is going to say) So I can’t play the games you like to play right now.

Sarah: (She pouts but looks interested in Emily’s phone) I want to look at the recipes too then.

Emily: Sure! (She shows Sarah the following recipe):

Cake-Batter Doughnuts

By Chocolate-Covered Katie May 3, 2011

So soft and cake-like… yet they are much healthier than traditional doughnuts!

Cake-Batter Doughnuts
Loosely based off a recipe from Vegetarian Times

~FROM: http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2011/05/03/cake-batter-doughnuts/

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine flax or ener-g with all wet ingredients except vinegar. In a separate bowl, combine remaining dry ingredients. Then add the vinegar to the wet, and immediately pour wet onto dry. Mix (but don’t overmix), pour into doughnut pans, and cook for 12 minutes.

Flour Notes: I used white-whole-wheat. You can use all-purpose or Bob’s gluten-free or spelt flour. Whole wheat pastry can be used, but the doughnuts will be a tad more dense.

View Nutritional Info

If you don’t have a doughnut pan, the above link also lists ideas for how you can still make these! And it includes some un-edited photos. I thought I’d include them so you can see what the doughnuts look like in a non-photoshoot format.

Emily: (after Sarah looks at the recipe) I love the website (chocolatecoveredkatie.com) this recipe is on. It’s really, really good, seriously, so I just know this is going to be very yummy. Instead of playing, you can help make them if you want; it could be fun!

Sarah: (looks happy again) Yes, yes, yes! They look so pretty and delicious! Rainbow is my favourite colour you know.

Emily: Okay then lets get baking! to begin with, do you see how it says we need pre-melted butter-type spread, such as Earth Balance in the ingredients? Well, we’re going to be using coconut oil, a very fatty and more of a solid consistency oil instead, because I think it would work. Plus, we’ll be using half coconut sugar, half xylitol, in place of the evaporated cane juice or sugar. These modifications might not work, though I’m guessing they will, but I wanted to do some experiments.

Sarah: (Wears bewildered expression) Weird, so we can just make up any recipe we want? Can we add a whole bunch of cocoa powder too? I like chocolate!

Emily: (laughs) Nope. Cocoa powder is certainly not yummy if you just add a whole lot of it without balancing it out with sweetness. Not to mention the fact that our doughnuts would be only crumbs without enough liquid. You see, baking is not random, even though you can be creative and fun with doing your own thing. You just have to make sure you’re making educated guesses.

Sarah: Well I like baking now. It seems like we’re playing to me! Especially if these doughnut are going to be really yummy…

(Time passes)

Emily: So now we have the liquid and dry mixtures together, but remember…

Sarah: (Yells out to finish Emily’s sentence) Don’t over mix it!

This particular recipe requires little mixing. The mixture should be combined but not over worked. It appears spongy in texture, a little like how an angel food cake feels, though of course the mix is wetter.

In mini muffin tins, as suggested by the recipes’s Nutritional Info link, before being baked.

(Later the muffins come out of the oven)

Doughnut holes fresh out of the oven.

Sarah: Let me taste test!

Emily: Help yourself to one, then we should get making the glazes for the doughnuts. I was thinking we could make some cinnamon sugar, and some butterscotch.

Sarah: Okay, but we should do chocolate too. It’s a requirement. (Is all smiles)

Emily: Definitely. I’ll show you how to make them all.

Sarah: Don’t we need a recipe?

Emily: Well, actually no. I was going to do some freestyle glaze making. That way it really is like play!

The finished doughnut holes glazed by chocolate, cinnamon-sugar, or butterscotch!

Yum! Now what could be more fun than rainbow sprinkles?

February 23, 2013.     Category: Baking, In-Depth Project, Recipes.   2 Comments.

2 Responses to “Play the Movie, Bake the Movie”

1.   Quirien Mulder Says:

Creative entry and full of play! Thanks, Emily. I wonder who is getting to taste all your creations.
    QMtK

Don't be shy, leave a comment...